The school started with fifty-one students, four forms and four teachers in the old Doric Hotel building. The High School was under the direction of Mrs. Anne Chambers with Mrs. S. E. Clarke as Second Mistress. In 1955 Mrs. Clarke took over as Headmistress.
1958 was an important year in the history of Queen's and indeed in the history of Jamaica for it marked the coming of the Common Entrance Examination. 1958 also marked the opening of the tennis courts. 1959 saw the establishment of the Junior School for children between the ages of 9 and 11, as well as the building which housed the High School's Laboratories for Chemistry and Biology and the Cookery, Art and Needlework Rooms.
In 1960 the School had 360 students. The number of students rose from 600 in 1973 to nearly 1000 in 1978 by which time the School had a swimming pool, netball courts, and a new Administrative Block in place of the old Doric Hotel Building.
Houses and Badges
Victoria - Red Badge
Mary - Blue Badge
Alexandria - Green Badge
Elizabeth - Yellow Badge
Grey "V" neck tunic, white rolled-up three quarter sleeve blouse, red tie - with crest. Black shoes, white socks.
|JaAlumni Index||JaWeb||Yard Page|